Get The Most From Tax Season With These Essential Tips
And it begins…
We’re all gearing up for a successful tax season. You’ve probably already started giving tax tips to your clients. You’re probably also hoping that they give you all the paperwork necessary to complete their tax forms quickly and easily.
So, the question is: What are you doing to prepare yourself for tax season?
Make yourself a priority
• Let friends and family know that you’re going to be busy for the next few months. Keep your social calendar just busy enough to give yourself the relaxed human contact you need without over stressing your time and energy.
• Use whatever tricks you can to manage your time. Some accountants keep a timer on their desks to remind them to take a break. Some turn off their phones so they’re not distracted by incoming calls. Some even organize set times in their offices when it’s ok to check email, text, or make calls. As busy as you are, try to take your lunch break. Go out for a walk, connect with friends at a restaurant. Whatever you do, give your brain a break from the work at hand.
Make your business a priority
• Before heading into the thick of tax season, make sure all your software is up-to-date. Make use of spreadsheets and other accounting applications available in the cloud, like Quickbooks, to improve efficiency.
• Get a head start on client work. There’s no need to wait for a meeting with your client to start filing their tax return. Cloud software lets your clients upload their tax information 24/7. You can access it and work on their file at your convenience.
• Tax applications that can be accessed online allow you to keep up-to-date with the latest changes to the tax laws. With that information, you can offer your clients the best advice possible.
Over to you: How do you use the cloud during tax season?